10.13.2009

Do you "work" here?

I had a commercial shoot all day today down on The Strip. It started at Barneys at The Palazzo at 8:30am. (sidenote, it was an interview with Simon Doonan, the Creative Director of Barneys, who is hysterical).

The parking garage at The Palazzo is fairly convenient, and I am on this new kick of trying to cram in a few extra steps of exercise wherever I can, so I valiantly opted not to valet right in front of the store, but instead parked in self parking.

I park my car...in the very lonely parking lot, as it is 8:30am on a Tuesday. I get out of the car, thinking I am ALONE, and I hear this "Ma'am, Ma'am! Do you work here?"

I spin around, completely caught-off guard that this whole time there has been somebody watching me. Sure enough, the parking garage security guard is standing about 15 feet away with a clip board. Not to mention, he is dressed in the Palazzo 'security uniform' that resembles that of a policeman straight from Venice. It's creepy.

I immediately answer "no" while looking around totally confused and wondering if I accidentally parked in employee parking. Nope, I didn't.

In a accusatory tone, the security guard repeats "you don't work here?"

I repeat, "no, is there a problem?"

Security guard: "No, I have just seen your car here a lot."

Me, still confused and looking at my innocent car: "Is there something about my car?"

Security guard, now irritable: "No, Ma'am, it's my job to monitor cars, and I have seen yours a lot. You are sure you don't work here? And not just in the hotel, but you know, work here....."

STILL completely confused as to what about "I don't work here" this man doesn't understand, I repeat AGAIN. "no, I don't work here...I don't know what else to say,"

At this point, in a very irritable tone, the security guard says "Ok, thank you ma'am."

Now, if this would have happened in Kansas, I would have just been weirded out and annoyed that some security guard was giving me grief about being a local who frequents the same place a few times a month. But, after living in Las Vegas for 4.5 years, I OF COURSE understand that this whole "not just work at the hotel, but you know, "work here" line inferred a completely different/unacceptable/inappropriate line of work. No...I don't "work here" as in a "workin girl, thank you."

2 comments:

courtney said...

If you work hard for the money, then they better treat you right!

That is hilarious. Blogs rarely make me giggle, but your post just did. Awesomeness!!!

ccwoods said...

She works hard for the money...